Francesca Pezze Metaproject collection
Scope and Contents
The Francesca Pezze Metaproject collection includes research notes, preliminary drawings, 1/4-scale and full-size models, a CD with photographs of the project, and a full-sized prototype made by Wilsonart International. The final product is a bathroom stool with varying height supports and storage compartments.
- Creation: 2010-2011
- Pezze, Francesca (Designer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
The Metaproject competition was developed by the educator Josh Owen in partnership with an industry sponsor to encourage students to produce design that "is semantically correct, and pragmatically understandable, but also visually powerful, intellectually elegant and timeless." In the case of Metaproject 01, in collaboration with Wilsonart International, the students were given the task of creating seating prototypes that would make use of Wilsonart’s laminate surface material.
Students in Professor Josh Owen’s industrial design class were given the task of creating seating prototypes that would make use of Wilsonart International’s laminate surfacing material. Project development needed to include research on a specific context, followed by a proposal for a “utilitarian service in the form of a seating-object typology.” The goals of the project were two-fold – to “inspire meaningful innovation in product development” balanced by real world parameters as students worked with an actual client product.
7.75 Linear Feet (1 box and 4 items )
The Francesca Pezze Metaproject collection consists of all the process work for the development of The Nodule by Pezze, and a book which describes Metaproject 01 and all the student designs.
1/4-scale models are in one box, life-size models and protypes on shelves. Paper records are stored seperately.
C.S. North Shelves 401-403
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was donated to RIT Archive Collections by Francesca Pezze in May 2011. Accession number: 11:46
- Metaproject 01 / Rochester Institute of Technology School of Design. Rochester, NY: Rochester Institute of Technology, 2011.
Finding aid created by Becky Simmons in November 2011.
- Owen, Josh (1970-) (Person)
- Rochester Institute of Technology. School for American Crafts (Organization)
- Rochester Institute of Technology. School of Design (Organization)
Genre / Form
- Academic-industrial collaboration
- Industrial design -- Competitions -- New York (State)
- Industrial design -- Study and teaching -- New York (State)
- New products -- Design and construction
- Product design -- Study and teaching -- New York (State)
- Seating (Furniture) -- Design -- Competitions -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Francesca Pezze Metaproject collection
- RIT Archives
- Becky Simmons
- 11 November 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note