Vincent Y. Lin Metaproject collection
Scope and Contents
The Vincent Y. Lin Metaproject Collection includes research notes, preliminary drawings and models, full-sized models, prototypes created by the manufacturer, and a retail version. The final product is a countertop paper towel holder with a base that doubles as a fruit/storage tray.
- Lin, Vincent Y. (Designer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
The Metaproject competition was developed by the educator Josh Owen in partnership with an industry sponsor to encourage students to produce design that "is semantically correct, and pragmatically understandable, but also visually powerful, intellectually elegant and timeless." In the case of Metaproject 07, in collaboration with Umbra, the students were challenged ro create a design for small spaces.
4 Linear Feet (Two cartons and 1 loose item)
The Vincent Y. Lin Metaproject Collection consists of all the process work for the development of Buoyancy paper towel holder, and a book which describes Metaproject 07 and all the student designs. The final product, Limbo, is also included in this collection.
This collection is arranged chronologically in two boxes, with one loose item. Paper records are stored seperately.
C.S. North, Shelf 406, 410
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was donated to the RIT Archive Collections by Vincent Y. Lin in August and December of 2017, and August of 2018.
Accession number(s): 2017:049 2018:001 2018:055
- Metaproject 07 / Rochester Institute of Technology School of Design. Rochester, NY: Rochester Institute of Technology, 2011.
Finding aid created by Ella von Holtum in August 2017.
- Academic-industrial collaboration
- Art students -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Industrial design -- 21st century
- Industrial design -- Competitions -- New York (State)
- Industrial design -- Study and teaching -- New York (State)
- Kitechen utensils -- Design
- New products -- Design and construction
- Product design -- Study and teaching -- New York (State)
- Renderings (drawings)
- Rochester Institute of Technology. School for American Crafts (Organization)
- Rochester Institute of Technology. School of Design (Organization)
- Vincent Y. Lin Metaproject collection
- RIT Archives
- Ella von Holtum
- 29 August 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note