Sumin-Petal Oh Metaproject collection
Scope and Contents
The Sumin-Petal Oh Metaproject collection includes digital and physical process work and eight prototype umbrellas.
- Oh, Sumin-Petal (Designer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection in open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
The Metaproject competition was developed by the educator Josh Owen in partnership with an industry sponsor to encourage students to produce design that "is semantically correct, and pragmatically understandable, but also visually powerful, intellectually elegant and timeless." In the case of Metaproject 09, in collaboration with Sesame Workshop, the students were given the task of addressing the 'Urgency of Play' in contemporary life.
Students in Professor Josh Owen’s industrial design class created new, modern Sesame products by defining opportunities with physical objects intended to make kids lives better. Students imagined beyond traditional associations with Sesame Street by leveraging their brand ethos into a new vocabulary of modern concepts. Resulting designs address simplicity, functionality, beauty, uniqueness, and cleverness while clearly targeting a need. A version of this experience was also brought to New York City for Design Week in May of 2019.
1 Linear Feet (1 document box)
7.3 Megabytes (Files located in Digital-Donated)
The Sumin-Petal Oh Metaproject collection consists of all the process work for the development of Cloud Sweeper by Oh, and a book which describes Metaproject 09 and all the student designs.
Umbrellas are housed together, digital material is arranged by design iteration which is its original order. Paper records are stored seperately.
C.S. North, shelf 409
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was donated to the RIT Archive Collections by Sumin-Petal Oh in May 2019. Accession number: 2019:051.
- Metaproject 09 / Rochester Institute of Technology School of Design. Rochester, NY: Rochester Institute of Technology, 2011.
Finding aid created by Ella von Holtum in June 2019.
- Academic-industrial collaboration
- Children's television programs
- Industrial design -- Competitions -- New York (State)
- Industrial design -- Study and teaching -- New York (State)
- Model (concept)
- New products -- Design and construction
- Owen, Josh (1970-)
- Product design -- Study and teaching -- New York (State)
- Rochester Institute of Technology. School of Design
- Sumin-Petal Oh Metaproject collection
- RIT Archive Collections
- In Progress
- Ella von Holtum
- 18 June 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note