Leo Smith interviews on RIT history digital audio recordings
Scope and Contents
The Leo Smith RIT Oral History audio recording contains audio interviews with prominent faculty, staff and students from RIT. Interviewees discuss their time at RIT, the Rochester community in general, memorable faculty and/or students, the history of the Institute and other topics related to RIT. Original cassette recordings were digitized on 1/9/2013.
- Creation: 1972-1976
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
Dr. Leo Smith (d. 1996) joined the Mechanics Institute in 1939, working closely with President Mark Ellingson. Smith was engaged in every aspect of the Institute's development during his thirty-three years here. He had a great deal of experience in education, but was also active in the Rochester Business Bureau, the Chamber of Commerce and the Central Presbyterian Church. Husband to Mary and father of Ken and Don, Smith was an example of the consistent character of the administration at RIT, efficient, fair and open to new ideas. He died on June 25, 1996.
24 Digital File(s) (Digital Audio Files)
Twenty-four digital audio recordings of interviews mostly conducted by Leo Smith in an attempt to capture the oral history of the Rochester Institute of Technology from some of its prominent faculty, staff, trustees, presidents and contributors.
The collection is arranged alphabetically by interviewee last name.
For access, contact RIT Archive Collections.
File location: \\twcfileserver\Archives\Audiotape Files\Leo Smith RIT Oral History Project 1972 to 1976
DVD copy located on East Wall, Shelf 54.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was donated to the RIT Archive Collections by Leo Smith in 1976. Accession number(s): 1976:030
Existence and Location of Copies
Currently the RIT Archive Collections is maintaining a copy on DVD located on East Wall, Shelf 54.
Finding aid created by Jennifer Roeszies in September 2015.
- Backus, Lulu Scott (Person)
- Bagby, Robert (Person)
- Barker, James Francis (Person)
- Benedict, May (Person)
- Bliss, Mary (Person)
- Brennan, Harold James (Person)
- Brodie, Harold (Harold J.) (Person)
- Carey, Hugh L. (Person)
- Carlson, Chester Floyd (Person)
- Cary, Mary Flagler (Person)
- Charters, W. W. (Werrett Wallace) (Person)
- Christensen, Hans (1924-1983) (Person)
- Clark, Brackett H. (Person)
- Clark, George H. (Person)
- Clark, Ruth M. (Person)
- Clement, Frank A. (Person)
- Culver, Byron (Person)
- Davis, Alfred L. (Person)
- DeWitt, Frank (Person)
- Eisenhart, M. Herbert (Person)
- Ellingson, Marcia (Person)
- Ellingson, Mark (Person)
- Farnum, Royal B. (Royal Bailey) (Person)
- Fitch, Margie (Person)
- Frisina, D. Robert (Person)
- Gannett, Frank E. (Frank Ernest) (Person)
- Gleason, James E. (Person)
- Hagberg, Sherman (Sherman B.) (Person)
- Hale, Ezra Andrews (Person)
- Hogadone, Edwina B. (Person)
- Johnson, Lyndon B. ( Lyndon Baines) (Person)
- Johnson, Robert Bradley (Person)
- Lomb, Carl F. (Ferdinand) (Person)
- Lomb, Henry (Person)
- Meyer, Fred (Frederick Robert) (Person)
- Miller, Paul A. (Person)
- Neblette, C. B. (Carroll Bernard) (Person)
- Nolan, Kevin J. (Person)
- Pease, Robert D. (Person)
- Pike, John Derrick (Person)
- Randall, John A. (John Arthur) (Person)
- Rhees, Rush (Person)
- Ross, Lewis P. (Person)
- Savage, Charles A. (Person)
- Shoemaker, William (S.) (Person)
- Shumway, Frank Ritter (Person)
- Shumway, Hettie Beaman Lakin (Person)
- Silverman, S. Richard (Sol Richard) (Person)
- Smith, Fred W. (Person)
- Smith, Leo F. (Person)
- Stern, Arthur L. (Person)
- Stroebel, Leslie D. (Person)
- Stubbins, Hugh (1912-2006 ) (Person)
- Todd, Hollis N. (Person)
- Tyler, Ralph W. (Ralph Winfred) (Person)
- Von der Lancken, Frank (Person)
- Wallace, Charles Frederick (Person)
- Wallace, Florence Murray (Person)
- Webb, Aileen O. (Person)
Genre / Form
- Deaf -- Education
- Deaf -- Education (Higher) -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Deaf college students
- Deaf students -- United States.
- Education, Cooperative
- Educational fund raising -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Electrical engineering
- Electrical engineering -- Study and teaching
- Finger spelling -- United States.
- Gleason Works (Rochester, N.Y.)
- Home economics -- Study and teaching -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Mechanical engineering
- Mechanical engineering -- Study and teaching -- United States.
- Photography -- Exhibitions.
- Printing -- History
- Printing -- History -- New York (State)
- Rochester Region (N.Y.) -- History, Local.
- Technical education
- Vocational education -- Curricula -- United States.
- Vocational education -- New York (State)
- Vocational education.
- Leo Smith RIT History digital audio recordings
- RIT Archives
- Jennifer Roeszies
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note