RIT Downtown Campus records
Scope and Contents
The collection on RIT’s downtown campus includes a variety of clippings and records. The clippings are related to the campus buildings located in the Third Ward neighborhood of Rochester, N.Y. The records include renovation plans and agreements, maintenance reports, memos, correspondence,campus maps and other historical information.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
The origin of the Rochester Institute of Technology’s downtown campus can be traced back to 1829, when the Rochester Athenaeum was established as an organization which encouraged life-long learning. The Athenaeum became the Mechanics Institute in 1885, officially becoming an institute of post-secondary education. The institute adopted the name Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) in 1944. Influenced by a variety of factors, RIT made the decision to uproot itself from downtown Rochester in 1961. Significant factors included the lack of space for the growth of the Institute, safety concerns due to the deterioration of the Third Ward neighborhood and the development of the inner loop directly through the campus buildings. At first, RIT considered taking part in an urban renewal plan to purchase and renovate estate in hopes of “reviving” the historically once prosperous area. It was ultimately decided that the urban renewal plan was unsuitable towards the immediate and long-term best interests of the Institute.
1 Box(es) (17 folders)
Collection contains historical information on the downtown campus of the Rochester Institute of Technology. The campus was located within the heart of downtown Rochester from the time of the establishment of Mechanics Institute in 1885 until the move to the Henrietta campus in 1968. This collection includes clippings and various records, such as renovation plans, maps, and correspondence.
This collection is arranged subject and chronologically.
Finding aid created by Allison Thompson in December 2013. Additional work done by Jess Andrews in March 2018.
- Bragdon, Claude Fayette
- Campus planning -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- College campuses -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Estate records
- Plans (reports)
- Remington, R. Roger
- Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute. Bevier Memorial Building
- Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute. Eastman Building
- Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute. Manual Training Building
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Buildings
- Rochester Institute of Technology. George H. Clark Building
- Rochester Institute of Technology. Ritter-Clark Gymnasium and Ice Arena
- The RIT Downtown Campus records
- RIT Archives
- Allison Thompson/Jess Andrews
- 10 January 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the RIT Archives Repository
Rochester NY 14623 USA