Sarah Margaret Gillam Award sterling silver bowl
Scope and Contents
Hans Christensen created a silver trophy bowl for the Sarah Margaret Gillam Award given annually by the then School of Food, Hotel, & Tourism Management. The bowl was presented to Howard C. Green in 1979 as a recipent of the Award. The sterling silver, hammered bowl rests upon a ring base with openwork of alternating lengths of perpendicularly suspended rings. On the underside of the base is impressed the word sterling over a conjoined HC over the word handmade over a mallet.
- Creation: 1979
- Christensen, Hans (1924-1983) (Designer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Historical Information: Sarah Margaret Gillam Award
The Sarah Margaret Gillam Award is named for a 1916 graduate of Mechanics Institute. She taught and developed new courses in food service, consulted for both the Veterans' Administration and the New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center, and was a dietitian at Rochester General Hospital. Gillam was a member and former president of the American Dietetics Association. She was also named RIT's 1967 Outstanding Alumnus.
The award is presented each year by the School of Food, Heotel and Tourism Management to a greaduate who has made an outstanding contribution ot the field of food management and/or dietetics.
1 Item(s) (1 Hans Christensen silver bowl)
This sterling silver bowl was created by Hans Christensen, professor in the School for American Craftsmen at Rochester Institute of Technology, to be presented to the 1979 recipient of the Sarah Margaret Gillam Award, Howard C. Green.
This is a single item.
The bowl is located in the George Eastman Hall in a display case located in the lobby outside of Henry's restaurant on the fourth floor.
Prior to being donated to Rochester Institute of Technology in May 2012, Henry Price Prazar, a Rochester area art appraiser appraised the bowl for insurance purposes.
The bowl measures 5 1/4 inches in height, 6 7/8 inches in diameter, and 17.06 troy ounces in weight.
Finding aid created by Jody Sidlauskas in July 2012.
- Gillam, Sarah Margaret (Person)
- Rochester institute of Technology. College of Applied Science and Technology. School of Food, Hotel & Tourism Management (Organization)
- Rochester Institute of Technology. College of Fine and Applied Arts (Organization)
- Rochester Institute of Technology. School for American Craftsmen (Organization)
- Green, Howard C. (Person)
- Sarah Margaret Gillam Award sterling silver bowl
- RIT Art Collection
- Jody Sidlauskas
- 31 July 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note