Pathways: A Century of Women at RIT project materials
Scope and Contents
Pathways: A Century of Women at RIT project materials contains promotional materials for the symposium and for the exhibition. There are four of the papers presented by students at the symposium, the collectible card series, a collaborative class project, and two individual projects by students. Additionally, the book Past meets Present: Recovering the History of Women at Rochester Instittue of Technology, 1885-1945 was published. The book contains the research papers and images, text and captions from the exhibition.
- Lent, Tina Olsin (Editor, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
A year-long collaboration during the 2007-08 academic year between the RIT Archives, the Women’s & Gender Studies program, and the RIT Women’s Center resulted in a program called Pathways: A Century of Women at RIT. Tina Lent, Becky Simmons, and Donna Rubin served as the steering committee for this event. The objective was to showcase student work that engaged with the history of women and their education on the RIT campus through projects like oral histories, biographies, and interpretive written and/or visual pieces inspired by research in the RIT Archives and other primary sources. Participation in the program was solicited from all eight colleges at RIT, and ultimately all were represented in the final two-hour event held on March 20, 2008.
After months of preparation students shared their research papers and read their poems at a day-long symposium, followed by an opening reception for an exhibition looking at the history of women at RIT until 1944. The exhibition also included student participation and focused on the domestic science and art programs which attracted women students in large numbers. Other ancillary events held during the day were an exhibition of posters and a viewing of videos, all created by female students.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 document box)
Pathways: A Century of Women at RIT project materials contains flyers, exhibition cards, and student projects generated for the project. The collaborative project took place during the 2007-08 academic year and culminated in a day-long symposium featuring presentations by students of their papers, poem readings and an exhibition opening.
The collection is arranged by material type.
C.S. North, Shelf 235
Other Finding Aids
In addition to this finding aid, an inventory is available below. For more information, please contact the RIT Archive Collections.
Pathways project materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Pathways collection was created by Becky Simmons in July 2008. Accession number(s): 2014:0511
- Past Meets Present: recovering the history of women at Rochester Institute of Technology, 1885-1945. Edited by Tina Olsin Lent, Becky Simmons, and Donna Rubin. Rochester, NY, 2009.
- A website: http://library.rit.edu/women/ Women at Rochester Institute of Technology
- Past Meets Present: Recovering the History of Women at RIT, 1885-1945. [Rochester, N.Y.: The Pathways Collective, 2009.
Finding aid created by Jody Sidlauskas in April 2014.
- Exhibitions -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute. Department of Domestic Science
- Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute. Department of Home Economics
- Rochester Institute of Technology. School for American Crafts
- Student research report
- Women artists -- New York (State) -- Rochester -- 19th century
- Women artists -- New York (State) -- Rochester -- 20th century
- Women athletes
- Women college students -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Women in education -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Women in higher education -- Social aspects -- United States
- Pathways: A Century of Women at RIT project materials
- RIT Archives
- Jody Sidlauskas
- 29 April 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note