Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute. Department of Domestic Science
Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
Collection consists of a Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute (RAMI) Household Science student scrapbook for First Grade Sewing class. Scrapbook contains a sample of fabric on each page with different types of stitching. Also includes photograph and clippings.
The Mechanics Institute Cooking School Lessons and Recipes composition books are two notebooks that contain portions of early instructional materials from the Domestic Science Department of the Mechanics Institute. Both composition books are from the 1897-1898 school year. The collection includes various recipes, cooking instructions for certain foods, cooking lessons, and measurement abbreviations and conversions. The materials were donated by Carol J. Saylor in May 2016.
Pathways: A Century of Women at RIT project materials contains flyers, exhibition cards, and student projects generated for the project. The collaborative project took place during the 2007-08 academic year and culminated in a day-long symposium featuring presentations by students of their papers, poem readings and an exhibition opening.
Three items from the Department of Domestic Science and Art at the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute: 1 apron, 1 cooking hat, and 1 drawstring bag.
Collection is approximately 250-300 recipe cards belonging to Gertrude Sterling, a Home Economics student at the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute (RAMI) during the 1930's. Recipes include cakes, pastries, puddings, pickling, and much more. Most of the recipes are for servings of 50 or more.
The collection includes various documents, clippings, publications, financial records, enrollment records and board meeting information related to the Domestic Science Department at RIT. The collection spans from 1893-1989.
The Winifred Philleo McPherson diaries are photocopied pages of her original diaries from 1914-1917. This was the time period she attended the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute (RAMI). Daily handwritten entries record the life of a young female student's life in the early 1900's. Also included is Mrs. McPherson's personal biography.
- Home economics -- Study and teaching -- New York (State) -- Rochester 4
- Clippings (information artifacts) 3
- Cooking -- Study and teaching -- New York (State) -- Rochester 3
- Women college students -- New York (State) -- Rochester 3
- Recipes 2
- Aprons (protective wear) 1
- Bags (generic containers) 1
- Biographies 1
- Black-and-white prints (photographs) 1
- Cooking 1
- Correspondence 1
- Diaries 1
- Ephemera 1
- Exhibitions -- New York (State) -- Rochester 1
- Hats 1
- Instructional materials 1
- Notebooks 1
- Publications 1
- Scrapbooks 1
- Sewing 1
- Student research report 1
- Universities and colleges -- Alumni and alumnae 1
- Women artists -- New York (State) -- Rochester -- 19th century 1
- Women artists -- New York (State) -- Rochester -- 20th century 1
- Women athletes 1
- Women in education -- New York (State) -- Rochester 1
- Women in higher education -- Social aspects -- United States 1 ∧ less