School of Photographic Arts and Sciences records
Scope and Contents
School of Photographic Arts and Sciences records include various materials from the office such as correspondence, clippings, scholarship and financial aid award letters and brochures for photography students, and brochures featured candidates for graduation.
Also included in the collection are curriculum papers (proposals, development, and revision of courses and programs under SPAS), news releases, and materials related to Rochester Film and Photography Consortium. Of interest is the collection of records related to the history of SPAS including correspondence, C.B. Neblette interview, drafts and copies of History of SPAS for the school’s 50th anniversary, among other materials.
- Majority of material found within 1970 - 1995
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
Photography has a long and interesting history at Rochester Institute of Technology. The first photography course was offered in 1901. The Department of Photography was founded in Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute (now Rochester Institute of Technology) in 1930 with Frederick Brehm as instructor. He was later joined by C.B. Neblette.
In 1960, the department became the School of Photography. During the same year, RIT was organized into six colleges including College of Graphic Arts and Photography which encompassed the school.
However, there was a strong feeling that the name, School of Photography, did not describe their educational philosophy or objectives, so the name was changed to the School of Photographic Arts and Sciences in 1968. Today, it is housed in College of Imaging Arts and Sciences.
2 Box(es) (Two carton boxes.)
Materials related to the School of Photographic Arts and Science (SPAS) at Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) including correspondence, curriculum, clippings, and materials for students and faculty. Of particular interest is the collection of records related to the history of the school.
The folders are arranged alphabetically with content in each folder arranged chronologically.
C.S. North, Shelf 292
Other Finding Aids
In addition to this finding aid, an inventory is available below. For more information, please contact the RIT Archive Collections.
School of Photographic Arts and Science records
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Materials in the collection were transferred to RIT Archive Collections from the College of Imaging Arts and Sciences (CIAS) at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) in 2010.
Accession number(s): 2010:053
- Shoemaker, William Soule. History of the School of Photographic Arts and Sciences: Prepared in Honor of the 50th Anniversary of the Founding of That School. Print.
- History of the School of Photographic Arts and Sciences, Rochester Institute of Technology
Finding aid created by Veronica Raco in October 2012.
- Brehm, F. W. (Frederick W.)
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- College students -- Awards -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Curriculum change -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Curriculum planning -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Education, Cooperative
- Neblette, C. B. (Carroll Bernard)
- Press Releases
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Curricula
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Faculty
- Rochester Institute of Technology. Department of Photographic Technology
- Universities and colleges -- Faculty -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Zakia, Richard D.
- School of Photographic Arts and Sciences records
- RIT Archives
- Veronica Raco
- 12 October 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note