RIT Archives men's hockey exhibition banners
Scope and Contents
The RIT Archives Hockey Exhibition banners contain 3 photographic backdrops designed for the exhibition hosted by the RIT Archives. They were created using photographs from the many years of men's hockey at RIT.
A technique called compositing was used in Photoshop to stitch multiple scans into one image. First the slide sheets were scanned to make a positive of the slide holders, then the actual slides, 60 in total were scanned. The scans of the slides were then pasted onto a separate layer in Photoshop, in order to position them correctly. This was repeated for every slide chosen for the backdrops. Finally the layers were compressed and the backdrops were printed. The backdrops were created by RIT Archives student employee, Colleen Robichaud. The design was then printed on canvas by the RIT Print/Postal HUB.
Each backdrop contains 20 enlarged, color slides of RIT men's hockey action shots. The backdrops hung in three tall display cases in the RIT Museum located on the 3rd floor of The Wallace Center from October 2011 through April 2012.
- Creation: October 2011
- Robichaud, Colleen (Designer, Person)
- Rochester Institute of Technology. Print/Postal HUB (Printer, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
To commemorate approximately 50 years of men's hockey at RIT, the RIT Archive hosted an exhibtion in October 2011. Titled,
Skating Through the Decades of Men's Hockey at RIT,, many hockey alumni contributed by donating scrapbooks, jerseys ,goalie masks, hockey sticks and pucks to the exhibit. The exhibit was planned and executed by Jody Sidlauskas, Associate Archivist.
The Archives staff collaborated with Alumni Relations and the Director of Intercollegiate Athletics to generate a list of hockey alumni and create a letter to alumni inviting them to participate in the exhibit by loaning or donating any hockey memorabilia they may have. There was a great response from alumni and strong interest in the exhibit. The exhibit opened during Brick City weekend in October 2011, and ran through April 2012.
3 Item(s) (3 exhibition backdrops 55.5" x 43")
Three backdrops used in an exhibition of RIT men's hockey program history curated by the RIT Archives in the RIT Museum in 2011.
Three pieces of canvas are rolled together.
C.S. Mid-range, Shelf 305
Each banner measures 56 inches long and 43 1/2 inches wide.
Finding aid created by Emily Sinicropi in September 2012.
- Sidlauskas, Jody, RIT Associate Archivist (Curator of an exhibition, Person)
- Rochester Institute of Technology. University News. Sports Information (Depositor, Organization)
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Alumni and Alumnae (Organization)
- Rochester Institute of Technology. Hockey (Organization)
- Rochester Institute of Technology. RIT Archive Collections. RIT Musuem (Organization)
- RIT Archives men's hockey exhibition banners
- RIT Archives
- Emily Sinicropi
- 28 September 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note