Manger Rochester Hotel Conversion collection
Scope and Contents
The Manger Rochester Hotel Conversion collection contains loan applications and an agreement for assistance to purchase and remodel the hotel, a map survey of the hotel, construction contracts with general contractors Luther and Sons, and estimates and correspondence relating to heating system conversion by Wright and Alexander.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
Although RIT can trace its origins back to the founding of the Rochester Athenaeum in 1829, the modern form of the institution was created in 1891 when the Rochester Athenaeum merged with the newly formed Mechanics Institute (founded 1885). The university started as a way to train individuals for careers in the dominant fields in Rochester, NY's manufacturing industry. As a result, most of the school's first students were local residents. However, as the school began to grow, an increasing number of students came from areas other than the city, creating a need for student housing.
Traditionally, men lived near campus in private homes, and after World War II, veteran students had been housed in an old army barracks. To ease the growing demand for housing, RIT purchased the Manger Rochester Hotel for conversion to a residence hall for men. The dormitory opened in September 1957. It was expected that all male students that did not live with family would reside in the Men’s Residence Hall for their first year of study. Located at the corner of West Main Street and Plymouth Avenue, the building housed over 400 students. The new dormitory was dedicated Nathaniel Rochester Hall on February 21, 1959, and remained in use until the campus was relocated from the city of Rochester to the town of Henrietta in 1968.
The Manger Rochester Hotel was built in 1908 by a group of investors, including Walter B. Duffy, then president of the New York and Kentucky Company and American Fruit Product Company. The building, equipment, and land cost $1,000,000. At the official opening on August 11, 1908, 10,000 people visited the hotel in three hours. Over the next fifty years, the hotel was bought and sold several times until its purchase by RIT in 1957 for dormitory conversion.
0.4 Linear Feet (1 Document box)
Contains correspondence, loan agreements, and contract records relating to the conversion of the Manger Rochester Hotel to a men's dormitory on the Rochester Institute of Technology downtown campus.
Materials are arranged chronologically within subject.
C.S. South, Shelf 224
Finding aid created by Amy Vilz in August 2011.
- College buildings -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Dormitories -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Manger Hotel Rochester
- Men -- Housing -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Receipts (financial records)
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Student housing
- Rochester Institute of Technology. Nathaniel Rochester Hall
- Manger Rochester Hotel Conversion collection
- RIT Archives
- Amy Vilz
- 08 August 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note