Leslie D. Stroebel photographs
Scope and Contents
The Leslie D. Stroebel photographs consist of 19 prints of various individuals. The collection includes portraits of individuals who were affiliated with the Rochester Institute of Technology such as Hollis Todd (Photography), Albert Richmers (Photography), Robert Pease (Evening School), Herbert A. Phillips (Graphic Arts Research Center), Edwina Hogadone (Retailing), Warren Rhodes (Graphic Arts Research Center ), Andrew Davidhazy (Photography), Brackett H. Clark (Board of Trustees), and Ralph Hattersley (Photography). The collection also includes several portraits of unidentified individuals. All of the portraits are 8x10 inches or larger.
- circa 1960-1970
- Stroebel, Leslie D. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
Leslie D. Stroebel was born on March 11, 1920 and grew up in Maplewood, MN. Wishing to study photography, Stroebel entered the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute's (RAMI) Department of Photographic Technology in 1939. At the time, RAMI's program was one of the only photography programs in the country and had a good reputation in the field. Stroebel was involved in several campus organizations including band, the photo-tech camera club, and Chi Delta Phi fraternity. Upon graduating from RAMI in 1942, Stroebel joined the U.S. military. He was sent to Lowry Air Force Base in Colorado to learn about aerial photography in the Air Corps Technical School.
Following World War II, Stroebel returned to RAMI (renamed Rochester Institute of Technology in 1944) as a faculty member in its Photographic Technology department. During his tenure, he founded the Technical Photography program with the first two students enrolling in the program in 1982. Stroebel is remembered as one of the key figures that helped build the Rochester Institute of Technology's (RIT) School of Photographic Arts and Sciences into the program it is today.
- An Introduction to Photography (with C. B. Neblette)
- View Camera Technique
- Dictionary of Contemporary Photography (with Hollis Todd)
- Visual Concepts for Photographers (with Hollis Todd and Richard Zakia)
- Photographic Materials and Processes
- The Focal Encyclopedia of Photography (3rd edition; with Richard Zakia)
2.08 Linear Feet (1 lid box)
Photographs taken by Leslie D. Stroebel, a former professor of photography at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). The collection includes 19 portrait prints.
Photographs are grouped by photograph subject.
C.S. Mid-Range, Shelf 42
Other Finding Aids
In addition to this finding aid, an inventory is available below. For more information, please contact the RIT Archive Collections.
Leslie D. Stroebel photographs
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was a donated to the RIT Archive Collections in December 2004.
Finding aid created by Lara Nicosia in April 2011.
- Clark, Brackett H.
- Davidhazy, Andrew
- Hattersley, Ralph
- Hogadone, Edwina B.
- Pease, Robert D.
- Phillips, Herbert E.
- Photographers -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Photography -- Study and teaching -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Rhodes, Warren
- Richmers, Albert D.
- Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute. Department of Photographic Technology
- Rochester Institute of Technology. Department of Photographic Technology
- Rochester Institute of Technology. School of Photographic Arts and Sciences
- Todd, Hollis N.
- Leslie D. Stroebel photographs
- RIT Archives
- Lara Nicosia
- 14 April 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note