RIT class of 1964 School of Photographic Arts and Sciences alumni exhibit photographs
Scope and Contents
The RIT Class of 1964 School of Photographic Arts and Sciences alumni exhibit photographs contains analog (film) and digital prints of each artist's earlier and current work. These works were donated for an exhibit held during Brick City Weekend, October 2014. “Exhibit ’64 Old Dogs Learning New Tricks” features the works of Bill Barley, Lloyd Beard, Roger Bennett, George Cochran, John Cornell, Peter Engeldrum, Michael Geissinger, Kevin Gilson, Bill Kinney, James Langone, Jerry Lewis, Ron Sherman, Ken Spencer, and David Spindel. Each photographer submitted two photographs for the exhibit, one film-based and one digital. There is a companion exhibition catalog: Exhibit '64: Old Dogs Learning New Tricks, From Film to Digital, 1964-2014, 2014.
One folder of materials contains resumes and descriptions for some of the photographs.
- Creation: 2014
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
A photographic technology department was established at RIT in 1930, although classes in photography had been offered intermittently since 1905. Many well-known photographers have emerged from the various RIT photography departments within what in 2015 called the School of Photographic Arts and Science. Enriching courses about the science and mechanics of photography were taught by Professors Charlie Arnold, Ken White, Hollis Todd, Richard Zakia, Les Stroebel, William Shoemaker, Albert Rickmers, Donald Smith, and others. Such professors laid the groundwork for their students and the professional careers they chose to follow. The scope of those careers can be seen by some of the backgrounds of the 14 individuals from RIT's Photography Class of 1964.
The participants in the exhibit were all from the class of 1964. Bill Barley owns Studio BB&A, also known as Bill Barley and Associates, in South Carolina. He is a licensed pilot who specializes in aerial photography. George Cochran owns Cochran Entreprises, which focuses on product marketing through marketing, visual media, and advertising. Michael Geissinger worked as a White House staff photographer for Lyndon B. Johnson. Kevin Gilson conducted ISO 9001 audits for Colorado-based Orion Registrar. David Spindel owns his own commercial photography studio and has taken images of John Lennon and numerous major league baseball teams.
2.58 Linear Feet (One large flat box)
The collection consists of photographs from the RIT School of Photographic Arts and Sciences class of 1964 alumni exhibit titled “Exhibit ’64 Old Dogs Learning New Tricks” The exhibit illustrated similarities and differences between their work in 1964 and today and features older printing processes as well as recent photographic printing processes.
Materials are arranged chronologically and alphabetically.
C.S. North, Shelf 210
Other Finding Aids
In addition to this finding aid, an inventory is available below. For more information, please contact the RIT Archive Collections.
RIT class of 1964 SPAS alumni exhibit photographs
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was donated to RIT Art Collection by Professor William Snyder in October 2014.
Accession number(s): 2014:016
Finding aid created by Jenna Bossert in February 2015.
- Barley, Bill (Photographer, Person)
- Beard, Lloyd (Photographer, Person)
- Bennett, Roger (Photographer, Person)
- Cochran, George (Photographer, Person)
- Cornell, John (Photographer, Person)
- Engeldrum, Peter G. (Photographer, Person)
- Gilson, Kevin (Photographer, Person)
- Kinney, Bill (Photographer, Person)
- Langone, James A. (Photographer, Person)
- Lewis, Jerry (Photographer, Person)
- Rochester Institute of Technology. School of Photographic Arts and Sciences (Organization)
- Sherman, Ron (Photographer, Person)
- Spencer, Ken (Photographer, Person)
- Spindel, David (Photographer, Person)
Genre / Form
- Art in universities and colleges -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Black-and-white photography
- Class reunions -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Photographers -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Photography -- Digital techniques
- Photography -- New York (State) -- Rochester -- Exhibitions
- Photography, Artistic -- 20th century
- Universities and colleges -- Alumni and alumnae
- RIT Class of 1964 School of Photographic Arts and Sciences Alumni Exhibit photographs
- RIT Art Collection
- Jenna Bossert
- 10 February 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note