Clifford Ulp artwork
Scope and Contents
Clifford Ulp artwork contains paintings and drawings, likely created while Ulp was teaching in the Art and Design department at RIT (1913-1952).
- circa 1910-1950
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
Clifford Ulp was born in 1885 in Olean, New York. He attended Rochester’s East High School and graduated from the Mechanics Institute (a precursor to RIT) in 1908. Five years later he returned to RIT to teach illustration and drawing. Ulp remained at RIT for 39 years, serving as the head of the Art and Design department from 1920 until his retirement in 1952. Ulp is remembered primarily for his landscapes. He was a popular public speaker and well-known figure in Rochester in the 1920s and early 1930s, during which time he served as president of the Rochester Art Club.
Clifford Ulp died at age 72 in 1958. Later that year, he was posthumously awarded the RIT Outstanding Alumni award.
12 Item(s) (5 Oil paintings, 3 Charcoal drawings, 2 Lithographic crayon drawings, 1 Pencil drawing, 1 Monoprint)
Clifford Ulp artwork contains 12 pieces: paintings and drawings, primarily depicting landscapes.
Collection consists of 12 pieces of artwork.
C.S. North, Shelf 89, Boxes 1, 7, 8 (with Art on Campus collection), cubby 20
RIT Art Collection
- Clifford Ulp at Art on Campus, Rochester Institute of Technology
Artwork pieces vary in size: 8 x 10 to 34 x 41.5 inches.
Finding aid created by Amy Vilz in August 2011.
- Art in universities and colleges -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Art students -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Artists -- New York (State) -- Rochester -- 20th century
- Drawings (visual works)
- Landscape drawing -- Study and teaching -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Oil paintings (visual works)
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Art collections
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Faculty
- Rochester Institute of Technology. School of Art and Design
- Clifford Ulp artwork
- RIT Art Collection
- Amy Vilz
- 31 August 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note