Luvon Sheppard watercolor paintings
Scope and Contents
Luvon Sheppard watercolors consists of 5 paintings, most depicting Rochester, New York. Most are on display throughout the RIT Henrietta campus:
- Creation: circa 1990-2002
- Sheppard, Luvon (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
Luvon Sheppard studied at RIT, earning a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Illustration in 1969 and a Master of Science in Art Education. He has been teaching illustration and painting at RIT since 1972. Sheppard was the recipient of the 1986 RIT Eisenhart Award for Outstanding Teaching. Sheppard’s paintings often reflect his involvement in the local community, painting many local street scenes and portraits of prominent local African-Americans, including Frederick Douglass and Garth Fagan. One of his first roles in fostering local community art was as a coordinator for the Memorial Art Gallery as a coordinator of neighborhood affairs, where in the 1970s he started the Allofus Art Workshop that offered community art classes in areas such as painting, drawing, ceramics, jewelry and printmaking. He now owns and runs his studio out of Joy Gallery in Rochester.
6 Item(s) (6 watercolor paintings)
Luvon Sheppard watercolors consists of 5 paintings, most depicting Rochester, New York.
Collection contains 5 paintings.
Rochester, State and Main Street, Building 77, Room 2245
Untitled (Rochester scenes), set of 8 paintings, Building 77, Room 1125
Untitled (High Falls), Building 77, Room 1259
Untitled (Rochester), Building 77, Room 1125
Untitled (Lorde thou art...), Storage room 3515 [wall]
RIT Art Collection
- Luvon Sheppard at Art on Campus, Rochester Institute of Technology.
- Additional description and images of artist work in View It! The Art and Architecture of RIT. By David Pankow, Becky Simmons, Houghton Wetherald. Rochester, NY: Cary Graphic Arts Press, 2004.
Paintings vary in size: 18 x 24 inches to 7 x 9 feet.
Finding aid created by Amy Vilz in August 2011.
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Art collections (Organization)
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Faculty (Organization)
- Rochester Institute of Technology. School of Art and Design (Organization)
- Luvon Sheppard watercolor paintings
- RIT Art Collection
- Amy Vilz
- 31 August 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note