Burton and John Stratton collection
Scope and Contents
A collection of photographs and news clippings about Burton E. Stratton and his son, John Stratton, both employees of RIT.
BOX 1, FOLDER 1 - Burton Stratton
- One copy of the 1941 Autumn issue of the Alumni Mirror, published by the RAMI alumni which features an article about Burton Stratton becoming the supervisor of the Evening School.
- July 30, 1944
- Clipping from the Syracuse Herald-American titled "Mechanics Institute Lays Groundwork for Shift of War Workers to Peace Aims." The article features Burton Stratton.
- 8 x 10 inch copy of page 27, which shows the Electrical Department, from a 1950's Ramikin yearbook.
- May 28, 1959
- Correspondence from Mark Ellingson to Mrs. Burton E. (Alice) Stratton.
- January 1961
- One copy of The RIT Notebook published by the Evening College, featuring an article by Dean Stratton "Adults Can Learn! Or Can They?"
- Various Dates
- One page containing five clippings from various newspapers featuring Burton Stratton.
- 5 x 7 inch black and white portrait of Burton Stratton, presumably used for the Ramikin yearbook
BOX 1, FOLDER 2 - John Stratton
- Six 3 x 5 inch color photographs taken at John Stratton's retirement in 2008.
- 5 x 7 inch black and white photograph of RIT and RGE folks at the dedication of the fuel cell.
- Creation: 1934-1989
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
Burton E. Stratton was a graduate of the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute's Electrical Department in 1928. Burt joins the Mechanics Institute staff in 1934, teaching students to write lab reports. He worked under President Randall, and shared an office with then faculty member Mark Ellingson, who later became President of the Institute. He became Dean of the Evening School in 1941, retiring in 1962. He also served as the executive secretary of the RIT Alumni Association for almost 25 years.
John Stratton served RIT and the College of Applied Science & Technology for decades, extending the legacy begun by his father, Burt, who served under Mark Ellingson. John started as a student in RIT's Electrical Department in 1960 and began his teaching career at RIT in 1971 as Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering Technology. He went on to become chair of the department, and then Associate Dean of the College of Applied Science & Technology in 1989, overseeing the transition of CCE to CAST and the move from the City Center location to the Henrietta campus. He also launches the Center for Multidisciplinary Studies. He retired in 2008.
John Stratton, professor emeritus in the College of Applied Science and Technology at Rochester Institute of Technology, was designated the 2009 James H. McGraw Award winner by the American Society for Engineering Education. The award is given for distinguished service, educational excellence and advancing the engineering technology profession.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 half-doc box)
Materials related to Burton E. Stratton, and Burton’s son, John Stratton. Burton E. Stratton was a graduate of the Mechanics Institute's electrical department, and served as the Dean of the Evening College from 1941-1960. The collection includes news clippings, photograps, and college publications
The collection is by arranged by subject. Materials relating to Burton and those relating to John Stratton each have a folder in the file box.
C.S. South, Shelf 742
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Accession number(s): 2017:007
There is a word document History of CCE and the Strattons by John Stratton dated December 2007 in Archives/Digital Archival Documents folder.
Finding aid created by Claire Popoli in April 2017.
- Ellingson, Mark (Person)
- Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute -- Alumni and Alumnae (Organization)
- Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute. Electrical Department (Organization)
- Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute. Evening School (Organization)
- Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute -- Faculty (Organization)
- Rochester Institute of Technology. Kate Gleason College of Engineering (Organization)
- Stratton, Burton E. (Person)
- Stratton, John (Donor, Person)
- Burton and John Stratton collection
- RIT Archives
- Claire Popoli
- 26 April 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note