RIT College of Continuing Education records
Scope and Contents
RIT College of Continuing Education records contain clippings, newsletters, advertisements, promotional guides, course offerings, invitations, convocation programs and conference guides. The bulk of the collection contains clippings, many of which are advertisements for the college in local newspapers. Also included is a detailed faculty guide from circa 1978. This guide gives a broad overview of the history of the college, academic programs and courses, administrative procedures, support services and a detailed list of faculty and staff.
- Majority of material found within 1968 - 1990
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
The RIT College of Continuing Education (CCE) was developed in 1966 to help working men and women expand their skills and increase their knowledge of business, science and art, while still being able to work and have the flexibility they needed. Prior to being called CCE; it was referred to as the RIT Evening School. Combining up to four professional concentrations, degrees were designed to fit and meet the needs of the working adult. Classes were available in the evenings and also through a pre-taped television course. RIT established many locations in the Rochester area to make it easier for people to attend.
In 1996, CCE was absorbed into the College of Applied Science and Technology (CAST). The merger was an effort to enhance and strengthen RIT's commitment to responsive, successful, and mutually beneficial external partnerships. RIT was responding to the changing needs of its partners to remain a key resource to business and industry for research, technology transfer, cooperative education, and training for human resource development. It was believed this move would enhance RIT's ability to create new entrepreneurial opportunities and facilitate their implementation.
In 2010, CMS was re-established under a new set of operating principles in the Division of Academic Affairs. CMS continued to offer undergraduate and graduate degrees, as well as a small number of advanced certificates. Additionally, CMS was meeting the needs of students at the American University of Kosovo (RIT/A.U.K.) and RIT-Dubai.
Now, the School of Individualized Study (SOIS) is RIT’s academic unit for individualized degrees, custom-designed to best meet students’ ideas, interests, and career goals through careful consideration of all courses RIT has to offer, including SOIS’ portfolio of multidisciplinary courses. Our degrees are committed to helping students be innovative and having a voice in their degree curriculum.
4.5 Linear Feet (8 document boxes and 1 flat box)
The collection includes clippings, photographs, correspondence, promotional materials and advertisements related to the College of Continuing Education at Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) covering 1966-1996. Also included are course offerings and program proposals, several publications produced by the College.
The materials are arranged in two boxes within 23 folders. The folders are arranged by subject and chronologically within each folder.
Other Finding Aids
In addition to this finding aid, an inventory is available below. For more information, please contact the RIT Archive Collections.
RIT College of Continuing Education records
Finding aid created by Emily Sinicropi November 2012.
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Evening and continuation school students -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- History
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Students
- Rochester Institute of Technology. Evening College. Extended Services Division
- Students -- New York (State) -- Rochester -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- Universities and colleges -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Universities and colleges -- New York (State) -- Rochester -- History
- RIT College of Continuing Education records
- RIT Archives
- Emily Sinicropi
- 30 November 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- 12/9/2022: Added box of CCE schedule of courses and 3 boxes of course catalogs from Legacy Files
- Box: 1 (Paper Records)
- Box: 2 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 3 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 4 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 5 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: Schedule of Courses 1969-1986 (Paper Records)
- Box: Course Catalogs 1969-1973 (Paper Records)
- Box: Course Catalogs 1974-1979 (Paper Records)
- Box: Course Catalogs 1980-1989 (Paper Records)
Part of the RIT Archives Repository
Rochester NY 14623 USA