RIT news release collection
Scope and Contents
RIT news release collection contains press releases issued by the Office of Communications. The department also compiled the scrapbooks. Each binder concerns one subject, including academic affairs, calendars, colleges, co-ops, development, finance and administration, institutional advancement, and student affairs.
- Creation: 1968-1995
- Rochester Institute of Technology. Office of Communications (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
The Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) can trace its origins to the founding of the Rochester Athenaeum in 1829. After joining with several different Rochester institutions during the 19th century, the Athenaeum finally merged with the Mechanics Institute (founded in 1885) in 1891 to form the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute (RAMI). RAMI changed its name to the Rochester Institute of Technology in 1944 to better reflect the university's role in the field of technical education.
RIT was originally located in the city of Rochester, NY. Due to the rapid growth in enrollment and programs following World War II, it became increasingly clear that the school would have to expand. Emil Muller, an RIT graduate, helped the university obtain 1300 acres of farmland in the suburb of Henrietta. Ground was broken on November 2, 1964 and by September 1968 the first classes were held. The Henrietta campus now contains well over 200 buildings with 12 colleges including the National Technical Institute for the Deaf.
5.2 Linear Feet (25 Binders)
11 Box(es) (11 document boxes containing loose news releases from 1968 to 1995)
The collection contains issued press releases compiled into scrapbooks by the RIT Office of Communications. The collection also includes document boxes of loose news releases given to the archives at various times.
Scrapbooks and boxes are arranged by subject and date.
C.S. South, Shelves 475-477
Finding aid created by Amy Vilz in November 2011.
Genre / Form
- RIT news release scrapbooks
- RIT Archives
- Amy Vilz
- 09 November 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- 1/18/2023: Added 11 document boxes of news releases from 1968-1995
- Binder: 11-19 (Paper Records)
- Binder: 20-25 (Paper Records)
- Binder: 1-10 (Paper Records)
- Box: News from NTID, NTID News releases, NTID at RIT News Release 1968-1972 (Paper Records)
- Box: News from RIT, News Releases Sept. 1974-Dec. 1980 (Paper Records)
- Box: News Releases January 1981-May 1992 (Paper Records)
- Box: News Release July 1991-June 1992, May 1994-April 1995 (Paper Records)
- Box: News Release October 1991- April 1994 (Paper Records)
- Box: News Releases August-1991 - September 1992 (Paper Records)
- Box: News Releases October 1991-August 1992 (Paper Records)
- Box: RIT in the News November 1980-October 1982 (Paper Records)
- Box: RIT in the News October 1982-December 1985 (Paper Records)
- Box: RIT in the News December 1985- May 1991 (Paper Records)