P22 Type Foundry collection
Scope and Contents
The collection is divided into three series: Publications, Ephemera, and Music. Publications includes the bulk of the collection. It includes a variety of type specimens as well as books.
The second series, Ephemera, includes both printed and three-dimensional ephemera.
The last series, Music, includes albums that were produced by Atom Smash Records, P22 Records, or P22/Stanyan Records, all of which were divisions of P22 Inc.
- Creation: 1991-2018
- P22 Type Foundry (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
P22 Type Foundry is a digital type foundry from Buffalo, New York that develops and markets typefaces for the Macintosh and Windows platforms. The company began making artist-inspired digital fonts in 1994. First catering to museum gift shops and specialty stores with packaged font sets, P22 expanded distribution with mail order catalogs and direct marketing. Along with fonts, P22 also makes other merchandise, focusing on design and art historical items. To diversify the type of fonts offered, P22 branched out and started the International House of Fonts in 2001 as an online type boutique that showcased designers from around the world. Another division, Sherwood Type, was created to highlight the type designs of Ted Staunton. In 2004, P22 acquired the Lanston Type Company, and in 2006 introduced the collected designs of Jim Rimmer via Rimmer Type Foundry. Atom Smash Records a division of P22 Type Foundry, produced music for a period of time. Some of the work produced included music that was inspired by fonts. P22 has since discontinued this section of their business.
Despite having the output of a large company, P22 is a small group of dedicated individuals who design fonts, printed matter, packaging, websites, and books.
7.0 Linear Feet (14 document boxes, 1 carton, 1 flat box)
Collection of materials from P22 Type Foundry including publications, promotional material, posters, merchandise, and compact discs.
This collection is arranged into three series, Series I. Publications, Series II. Ephemera, and Series III. Music.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was donated to the Cary Special Collections in January 2013 by P22 Type Foundry.
Collection processed by Megan Moltrup, May 2013.
Finding aid encoded by Megan Moltrup, May 2013.
Edit note by Amelia Hugill-Fontanel, September 2013.
Finding aid revised by Kayla Jackson 2019.
- Wright, Frank Lloyd (Architect, Person)
- Rimmer, James (Person)
- Koch, Rudolf (Type designer, Person)
- Kegler, Richard (Person)
- Hunter, Dard (Writer of accompanying material, Person)
- Preissig, Vojtěch (Type designer, Person)
- Stern, C. Christopher (Type designer, Person)
- Grieshaber, James (Person)
- Hamilton Wood Type Foundry (Organization)
- Atom Smash Records (Organization)
- El Belhairy, Carima (Person)
- Sherwood Type Collection (Organization)
- TypeSETit (Organization)
- International House of Fonts (Organization)
- Lanston Type Collection (Organization)
- Goudy, Frederic W. (Frederic William) (Person)
- Giampa, Gerald (Person)
- P22 Type Foundry collection
- Cary Graphic Arts Collection
- Megan Moltrup. Edited by Kayla Jackson, May 2019.
- 8 May 2013
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Box: 1 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 2 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 3 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 4 (Mixed Materials)
- Oversized box: 5 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 6 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 7 (Paper Records)
- Box: 8 (Paper Records)
- Box: 9 (Paper Records)
- Box: 10 (Paper Records)
- Box: 11 (Paper Records)
- Box: 12 (Paper Records)
- Box: 13 (Paper Records)
- Box: 14 (Paper Records)
- Box: 15 (Paper Records)
- Box: 16 (Paper Records)