Stephen Neil Cooper Synchronic Comic Book collection
Scope and Contents
The Stephen Neil Cooper Synchronic collection contains comic books and photographic prints.
Series I.contains most of this collection's content, comic books. They are from a range of publishers, and are specific to those comics that were printed or likely availble on comic book stands in April 1956. Series II. photographic prints are showing the finished collection in the way that they might have been displayed when the comic books were being sold on stands, as well as how children intereacted with them.
- 1956 April
- Cooper, Stephen Neil (Collector, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
Stephen Neil Cooper grew up in the Flatbush area of Brooklyn, NY. When he was a young boy he began reading comics, his favorite being science fiction. He began his collection later in life due to memory from his childhood. When he was 11 he read a comic and the story fascinated him. He couldn't remember the name of the comic, but he knew he needed to have it. Some years later, a friend found the story in a comic book he came across at Comic-Con. The date of the issue was April 1956. This sparked Cooper's collecting. He wanted to own every title from that month and year in order to show a comprehensive view of not only comics at that time, but of graphic design and printing technologies. His collection took him ten years to complete and now has 202 titles in it.
Stephen Neil Cooper is an alumnus of Rochester Institute of Technology, who graduated in 1966 with a fine arts degree in illustration photography.
3 Linear Feet (2 document boxes, 1 folder)
A synchronic collection of all comic books that were published in April 1956, put together by Steven Neil Cooper. This collection includes issues with cover dates that would have been available in April of 1956, depending on the publication schedules.
This collection is arranged alphabetically by title.
Cary Graphic Arts Collection
Other Finding Aids
In addition to this finding aid, an inventory is available below. For more information, please contact the Cary Graphic Arts Collection.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Stephen Neil Cooper Synchronic Comic Book collection was donated to the Cary Graphic Arts Collection by Stephen Neil Cooper in October 2010.
- Cooper, Steven. "The Odyssey of a Synchronic Collector." Comic Book Marketplace Mar. 1999: 34-51. Print.
- Famous Funnies: Comic Books Donated to RIT Cary Graphic Arts Collection. Article regarding the donation of the collection. Written by Marcia Morphy, RIT: The University New, 15 November 2010.
- Morphy, Marcia. "Holy Collection, Batman!" RIT: The University Magazine 2011: 3. Print.
- Long, Tia. "RIT Alum Donates Unique Comic Collection." Reporter 22 Apr. 2011: 10. Print
- Morphy, Marcia. "Let's Marvel at the Comics." RIT Athenaeum 2.4 (2011): 4. Print.
Collection processed by Amelia Hugill-Fontanel, October 2010.
Finding aid encoded by Megan Moltrup, March 2013.
- ACE Comics (Publisher)
- ACG Comics (Publisher)
- Anderson, Carl Thomas (Illustrator)
- Archie Comics (Publisher)
- Argo Comics (Publisher)
- Arleigh Pub. Corp (Publisher)
- Atlas Comics (Publisher)
- Avon Comics (Publisher)
- Baker, George (Illustrator)
- Barks, Carl (Illustrator)
- Boring, Wayne (Illustrator)
- Buscema, John (Illustrator)
- Bushmiller, Ernie (Illustrator)
- Charlton Comics (Publisher)
- Comic books, strips, etc.
- Comic books, strips, etc. -- United States
- Comic books, strips, etc. -- United States -- 20th century
- Comic books, strips, etc. -- United States -- Collectors and collecting
- DC Comics, Inc (Publisher)
- Davis, Jack (Illustrator)
- Dell Comics (Publisher)
- Disney, Walt
- EC Comics (Publisher)
- Elder, Bill (Illustrator)
- Ely, Bill (Illustrator)
- Fisher, Hammond (Illustrator)
- Gaines, Bill (Illustrator)
- Gilberton Company (Publisher)
- Gould, Chester (Illustrator)
- Grandenetti, Jerry (Illustrator)
- Halto, Jimmy (Illustrator)
- Harvey Comics, Inc. (Publisher)
- Heath, Russ (Illustrator)
- Krigstein, Bernard (Illustrator)
- Kubert, Joe (Illustrator)
- Lantz, Walter (Illustrator)
- Lev Gleason Pub. Inc (Publisher)
- Mag. Enterprises, N.Y. (Publisher)
- Maneely, Joe (Illustrator)
- Marsh, Jesse (Illustrator)
- Marvel Comics Group (Publisher)
- National Comics Pub (Publisher)
- Pines Comics (Publisher)
- Quality Comics (Publisher)
- St. John Publishing Co (Publisher)
- Sullivan, Pat (Illustrator)
- Terry, Paul (Illustrator)
- Whitney, Ogden (Illustrator)
- Wood, Wally (Illustrator)
- Young, Chic (Illustrator)
- Ziff-Davis, Inc (Publisher)
- Stephen Neil Cooper Synchronic Comic Book collection
- Cary Special Collections
- Ready To Publish
- Megan Moltrup
- 18 March 2013
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note