Claude and Helen Samuelson papers
Scope and Contents
The Claude and Helen Samuelson papers includes documentation regarding the Rochester Civic Association of the Deaf, and its successor organization, Empire Sate Association of the Deaf. Materials include reports, convention program books, and correspondence. Folder list below.
- Folder 1
- ESAD biennial convention program books, 1977, 1975, 1973, 1971, 1969, 1948
- Folder 2
- Information on housing for senior citizen and elderly deaf citizens, 1974
- Folder 3
- Information on Rochester Civic Association of the deaf, 1974; Facilities for senior citizens advisory committee-correspondence, report
- Folder 4
- Photocopies of promotional materials from Stromberg-Carlson about Vistaphone
- Folder 5
- Correspondence: The Origin of Empire State Association of the Deaf, Inc., undated; National Association of the Deaf Movie films presented to the Edward Miner Gallaudet Memorial Library, April 9, 1965; Letter to Mr. Henry Buzzard, Archivist New York School for the Deaf from Gail Wilson, NTID, Sept. 29, 1987; Letter to "Librarian" from Helen Samuelson, Nov. 1988; RIT Office memo to Barbara Ray from Gail, 1/6/1989, re: Deaf Heritage Center
- Creation: 1948-1989
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
Claude Samuelson was born November 12, 1898 in Jamestown, New York. He attended the Rochester School for the Deaf. After graduating, he worked for Delco Appliance, where he worked for forty years. He died November 9, 1994 at age 95. Helen Samuleson was born March 3, 1904. Both she and Claude were active in the Deaf community and worked with the Rochester Civic Association of the Deaf and the Empire State Association of the Deaf. Helen died on March 15, 1997 at age 93.
.25 Linear Feet (1 half document box)
Correspondence, promotional materials, and convention programs related to Claude and Helen Samuelson's work with the Rochester Civic Association of the Deaf and the Empire State Association of the Deaf.
Materials are arranged by subject.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Claude and Helen Samuelson papers were gifted to the National Institute of the Deaf at Rochester Institute of Technology in November 1988 by Helen Samuelson. The papers were transferred to the Deaf Studies Archive in 2009.
Finding aid created by Amy Vilz in October 2011. Revised by Ella von Holtum in May 2020.
- Claude and Helen Samuelson papers
- RIT/NTID Deaf Studies Archive
- Amy Vilz
- 10 October 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note