Hobart Cowles lidded jar
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of one ceramic piece by ceramicist Hobart Cowles, a faculty member at Rochester Institute of Technology from 1951-1980. The covered jar has a gray glaze and is decorated with paintings of blue birds resting on brown branches.
- Cowles, Hobart (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
Hobart E. Cowles (1923-1980) was a well known and respected New York ceramicst working in the mid-twentieth century. He was born in Madison Ohio and received his Master's of Arts in Ceramics from Ohio State University in 1950. He began his professional career teaching at Rochester Institute of Technology's School for American Crafts in 1951 and continued to do so until his death in 1980.
As an artist, Hobart was known for his uniqueness of color and texture in his ceramics. His work was exhibited in shows across the world including the Museum of Contemporary Crafts in New York and the Brussels World's Fair. He was married to Barbara Cowles a manager at Shop1. She has written several books dedicated to him.
Hobart Cowles lidded jar consists of one ceramic piece. Cowles was on the faculty in the School for American Crafts at RIT from 1951-1980.
The collection consists of one piece.
Archives Reading Room, Map Case 3
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The jar was donated by Eve Kelly Herman in July 2015. Accession number(s): 2015:077
The jar measures 6.5 X 5 inches.
Finding aid created by Lisa Witt in August 2015.
- Art in universities and colleges -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Ceramics -- New York (State) -- Rochester -- 20th century
- Pottery -- New York (State) -- 20th century
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Art collections
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Faculty
- Rochester Institute of Technology. School for American Crafts
- Hobart Cowles lidded jar
- RIT Art Collection
- Lisa Witt
- 12 August 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note