Charles C. Horn paintings
Scope and Contents
Charles C. Horn paintings consists of two pieces, most likely created while Horn was on faculty at the School of Art and Design at the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute (a precursor to RIT) from 1921-1954:
- circa 1925-1950
- Horn, Charles C. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
Charles C. Horn was born in Brooklyn, New York and studied art at the Pratt Institute. He began teaching at the School of Art and Design of the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute (a precursor to RIT) in 1921. Previously, he was art supervisor for public schools in Summit, New Jersey, head of the art department of Laidlaw Company (an advertising agency), and art director for Dawley Studios (a motion picture company).
In 1943, he devised the Horn Art Aptitude Inventory. This test was used in art schools, colleges, and universities throughout the country. A resident of the Finger Lakes, Horn retired after teaching at RIT for 33 years in 1954. After retiring, he continued to teach painting one night a week at RIT and in the adult education division of Webster High School.
Charles C. Horn died of a heart ailment on February 2, 1957.
2 Item(s) (2 Paintings)
Two paintings by Charles C. Horn, a professor in the School of Art and Design at the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute (a precursor to RIT).
Collection consists of two paintings.
Untitled (boats on a lake), C.S. North, Shelf 88, Box 6
Bevier Stairs, Building 1, South wall, Room 4000
RIT Art Collection
- Charles C. Horn at Art on Campus, Rochester Institute of Technology
Painting sizes vary: 12 x 16 to 26 x 22 inches
Finding aid created by Amy Vilz in September 2011.
- Art in universities and colleges -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Artists -- New York (State)
- Oil paintings (visual works)
- Painters -- United States
- Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute -- Faculty
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Art collections
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Faculty
- Charles C. Horn paintings
- RIT Art Collection
- Amy Vilz
- 07 September 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note