Leo Kaplan assemblage and sculpture
Scope and Contents
This collection contains one assemblage and one sculpture by Leo Kaplan. Kaplan's distinctive assemblages combine found objects into sculptural works of art.
- 1990, undated
- Kaplan, Leo (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
Leo Kaplan was born in Binghamton, New York in 1912, and attended the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute's (a precursor to RIT)School of Art and was listed in “Who’s Who in American Art” as both an Assemblage and Collage Artist. He studied illustration and advertising art, and graduated in 1932. While at RAMI, he was in Art Student's League, the yearbook committee,and the Student Handbook staff providing illustrations throughout these publications.
He joined the Air Force in 1942 and spent 2 1/2 years in England as a First Sergeant with a Ferry and Transport unit.
After the war, he lived in Rochester and worked for the Great Lakes Press, a Rochester-based color lithographing firm, for 30 years and designed annual reports, catalogues, advertising literature, displays and packages. He was the company’s art director for 20 years and the creative director for the remaining 10 until his retirement in 1976.
In 1968 he was honored by RIT with an Outstanding Alumnus Award. He continued to live and create his unique assemblages in Florida until his passing at age 100 in 2012.
2 Item(s) (1 Assemblage, 1 Sculpture)
Assemblage and sculpture by Leo Kaplan, noted assemblage and collage artist.
Collection consists of two pieces.
RIT Art Collection
Jamie's Wolrd, CS North, Shelf 83
Type, Cary Library Book case
- Leo Kaplan at Art on Campus, Rochester Institute of Technology
Artwork sizes vary: 12 x 5 to 19 x 14.5 inches
Finding aid created by Amy Vilz in September 2011.
- Art in universities and colleges -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Artists -- New York (State) -- Rochester -- 20th century
- Assemblages (sculpture)
- Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute -- Students
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Art collections
- Sculpture, American -- New York (State) -- Rochester -- 20th century
- Leo Kaplan assemblage and sculpture
- RIT Art Collection
- Amy Vilz
- 07 September 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note