Albert Paley sculpture and photograph
Scope and Contents
Albert Paley sculpture and photograph consists of three pieces. The sculpture Sentinel, (2003) is a permanent installation on the RIT campus and weighs some 110 tons and is 73 feet tall. This steel, stainless steel, and bronze sculpture was commissioned by RIT and greets campus visitors at the formal entrance to the campus. The collection also contains a maquette of the Sentinel and a black and white photograph of portal gates commissioned by the Renwick Gallery at the Smithsonian American Art Museum in 1974.
- Paley, Albert (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
Sculptor and metalworker Albert Paley’s permanent mark on the campus of RIT was made when his towering Sentinel was dedicated in 2003. Paley was born in Philadelphia, and earned undergraduate and graduate degrees from the Tyler School of Art in Philadelphia. He came to Rochester in 1969 as a faculty member in RIT’s School of American Crafts. Paley also served on the faculty of SUNY College at Brockport. Currently, he is Distinguished Professor holding the Charlotte Fredericks Mowris Professorship in Contemporary Crafts at the School for American Crafts and a board member of the International Sculpture Center.
Paley's work is held by museums all over the world, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston, and the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. He is well known for his more than 50 commissioned pieces, including portal gates for the Renwick Gallery of the Smithsonian Institution and New York State Senate Chambers in Albany, and Horizon, a sculpture for Adobe Systems in San Jose, California.
3 Item(s) (1 Sculpture, 1 Maquette, 1 Photograph)
Collection consists of 1 sculpture, 1 maquette, and 1 photograph, all by Albert Paley. Renowned metal sculptor Albert Paley has been on the faculty in RIT's School of American Crafts since 1969.
Collection consists of three pieces.
SAU Administration Circle - Sentinal sculpture
First floor of the Wallace Center Library- Bldg 5 - Sentinal maquette
Archives Art Cubby 8 - Photograph
- Albert Paley at Art on Campus, Rochester Institute of Technology
- Additional description and images of artist work in View It! The Art and Architecture of RIT. By David Pankow, Becky Simmons, Houghton Wetherald. Rochester, NY: Cary Graphic Arts Press, 2004.
Artwork varies in size: 24 x 20.5 inches to 73 x 30 feet.
Finding aid created by Amy Vilz in September 2011.
- Art in universities and colleges -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Artists -- New York (State) -- Rochester -- 20th century
- Maquettes (sculptures)
- Public sculpture -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Art collections
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Faculty
- Rochester Institute of Technology. School for American Craftsmen
- Sculpture, American -- New York (State) -- Rochester -- 20th century
- Sculpture, American -- New York (State) -- Rochester -- 21st century
- Albert Paley sculpture and photograph
- RIT Art Collection
- Amy Vilz
- 05 September 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note