Max L. Lenderman fiber art
Scope and Contents
Max Lenderman fiber art contains 4 pieces:
- "Mysterious Landscape"
- Wool sculpture wall hanging, 11 x 21 feet
- Small multicolor wall hanging, 19 x 38 inches
- Goat hair wall hanging, 42 x 76 inches
- Wool tapestry (attributed to Lenderman or Donald Bujnowski)
- 34 x 88 inches
- circa 1979
- Lenderman, Max L. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
Textile artist Max L. Lenderman earned a Bachelor’s degree from Indiana State University and Master of Fine Arts in ceramics and textiles from the University of Kansas. He came to RIT in 1973 to teach at the School for American Crafts. Prior to this, he was chair of the weaving department at Bowling Green State University in Ohio. Lenderman taught at RIT for 34 years and retired in 2007.
He is known for his sculptural and conceptual wall hangings. His large hanging piece Mysterious Landscape was inspired by the autumn colors of the wooded areas around campus.
3.33 Linear Feet (1 Oversize lid box, 3 Items)
Max Lenderman fiber art contains 4 pieces: 2 wall hangings, 1 wool sculpture, and 1 piece attributed to Lenderman or Donald Bujnowski.
Fiber art pieces are stored individually.
C.S. North, Shelves 73, 81 (with Art on Campus collections)
- Max Lenderman at Art on Campus, Rochester Institute of Technology
- Additional description and images of artist work in View It! The Art and Architecture of RIT. By David Pankow, Becky Simmons, Houghton Wetherald. Rochester, NY: Cary Graphic Arts Press, 2004.
Approximate sizes of fiber art pieces vary from 38 x 19 inches to 11 x 21 feet.
Finding aid created by Amy Vilz in August 2011.
- Art in universities and colleges -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Fiber art
- Fiberwork -- New York (State) -- Rochester -- 20th century
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Art collections
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Faculty
- Rochester Institute of Technology. School for American Craftsmen
- Weaving in art
- Max L. Lenderman fiber art
- RIT Art Collection
- Amy Vilz
- 19 August 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note