Leslie McPherson portrait of Leslie D. Stroebel
Scope and Contents
The Leslie McPherson portrait of Leslie D. Stroebel is a black and white image printed on glossy paper and mounted between white matboards.
- circa 1988
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
Leslie D. Stroebel was born on March 11, 1920 and grew up in Maplewood, MN. Wishing to study photography, Stroebel entered the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute's (RAMI) Department of Photographic Technology in 1939. At the time, RAMI's program was one of the only photography programs in the country and had a good reputation in the field. Stroebel was involved in several campus organizations including band, the photo-tech camera club, and Chi Delta Phi fraternity. Upon graduating from RAMI in 1942, Stroebel joined the U.S. military. He was sent to Lowry Air Force Base in Colorado to learn about aerial photography in the Air Corps Technical School.
Following World War II, Stroebel returned to RAMI (renamed Rochester Institute of Technology in 1944) as a faculty member in its Photographic Technology department. During his tenure, he founded the Technical Photography program with the first two students enrolling in the program in 1982. Stroebel is remembered as one of the key figures that helped build the Rochester Institute of Technology's (RIT) School of Photographic Arts and Sciences into the program it is today.
This is a portrait of former RIT photography professor Leslie D. Stroebel. It is a black and white image taken by former RIT student Leslie McPherson, and is mounted between matboards.
There is one item in the collection.
C.S. Mid-Range, Shelf 42
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This portrait was donated by RIT PPHB alumnus Leslie Macpherson in April 2017.
Accession number(s): 2017:030
Finding aid created by Ella von Holtum in June 2017.
- Black-and-white photography
- Peres, Michael
- Photographers -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Photography -- Study and teaching -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Portrait photography -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute. Department of Photographic Technology
- Rochester Institute of Technology. Department of Photographic Technology
- Rochester Institute of Technology. School of Photographic Arts and Sciences
- Stroebel, Leslie D.
- Leslie McPherson Portrait of Leslie D. Stroebel
- RIT Archives
- Ella von Holtum
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the RIT Archives Repository
Rochester NY 14623 USA