Genesee Figure Skating Club records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains several folders that shed light on the history and the relationship between The Genesee Figure Skating Club and RIT. The material in this collection dates from the mid-1950s to the late 1980s. Folder 1 contains brochures for RIT’s Summer Skating Academy. Folder 2 contains records about membership and correspondences between the club and its members. A press release and an information bulletin for the Genesee Figure Skating Club members can be found here as well. Folder 3 contains posters, booklets, tickets, and programs pertaining to events hosted by the Genesee Figure Skating Club, such as the Skating Spectacular and Broadway on Ice. Folder 4 contains newspaper clippings that advertise events and showcase current members as well as those who went on to receive national and international recognition for figure skating.
- Creation: 1956-1988
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
Late in 1954, the first permanent artificially frozen ice skating rink in Rochester opened in Genesee Valley Park. Twenty-six dedicated figure skaters persuaded the City Parks Department to allocate two hours twice a week to figure skating sessions. The Genesee Figure Skating Club was born.
Frank Ritter Shumway, a major figure in figure skating throughout the United States, was one of the founding fathers of the Genesee Figure Skating Club in 1955. He served as the club’s first president. In order to locate the club, Frank Ritter Shumway donated money to RIT so the university could add an ice rink named the Ritter-Clark Building to the downtown Rochester campus for practices and where events could be held. When RIT relocated to Henrietta in the 1960s, an ice rink named the Frank Ritter Memorial Ice Arena was built to house the club. The Genesee Figure Skating Club’s “home” has been the Frank Ritter Memorial Ice Arena ever since.
The Genesee Figure Skating Club’s “Skating Spectacular” shows were one of the first amateur figure skating productions of their time to be televised nationally. These televised productions reached over 285 Public Broadcasting Service Stations. This show has served as a showcase for figure skaters who went on to the United States National and International Championships.
The Genesee Figure Skating Club has grown exponentially from the 1950s until now, from 26 original members to several hundred members presently.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 small document box)
The Genesee Figure Skating Club was founded in 1955 and its "home" has always been at RIT. The collection contains brochures, membership records, newspaper clippings, and letters about collaborative activities, events, and fundraising opportunities of the Genesee Figure Skating Club.
Materials are arranged chronologically and by series.
C.S. South, Shelf 749
Other Finding Aids
In addition to this finding aid, an inventory is available below. For more information, please contact the RIT Archive Collections.
Genesee Figure Skating Club records
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Newspaper clippings about the Genesee Figure Skating Club were accessioned in 1978. This folder is being combined with other material about the Genesee Figure Skating Club to create a comprehensive collection.
Accession number(s): 1978:029
Finding aid created by Jenna Bossert in March 2015.
- Brunett, Judy Ferris (Performer, Person)
- Carver, Estelle (Associated name, Person)
- Carver, Howard (Associated name, Person)
- Chamberlain, Ruth (Writer of accompanying material, Person)
- Davis, Alfred L. (Associated name, Person)
- Genesee Figure Skating Club (Rochester, N.Y.) (Organization)
- Limpert, Richard (Writer of accompanying material, Person)
- Lynn, Janet (Performer, Person)
- Moore, John C., Jr. (Associated name, Person)
- Rochester Institute of Technology (Organization)
- Rochester Institute of Technology. Frank Ritter Memorial Ice Arena (Organization)
- Rochester Institute of Technology. Ritter-Clark Gymnasium and Ice Arena (Organization)
- Sillick, W.E. (Writer of accompanying material, Person)
- Shumway, Frank Ritter (Writer of accompanying material, Person)
- Shynook, Ike (Writer of accompanying material, Person)
- Genesee Figure Skating Club records
- RIT Archives
- Jenna Bossert
- 04 March 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note