Skip to main content

Kate Gleason College of Engineering records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: RITArc-0410

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of a variety of documents related to the Kate Gleason College of Engineering (KGCOE)from the 1960’s to the 1990’s. Included in the collection are correspondence, clippings, and examples of promotional materials for students interested in engineering graduate programs at RIT. Also included are news releases, materials from the Engineers’ Council for Professional Development, materials regarding John Lindsay Hill, and other related documents. Added to the collection is a 1987 COE Alumni Directory which contains short blurbs about the various engineering programs in the college; as well as alumni lists alphabetically, geographically, and by class year.

Within the KGCOE records exists the John D. Hromi Center for Quality & Applied Statistics records. They include clippings 1983-1989, the Interaction publication 1985-1990, a newsletter Applications For Quality 1993-2001, and promotional materials from 1984-1997.


  • Creation: 1949, 1962, 1964-1992, 1994-1996, 1999, 2003, 2005
  • Creation: Majority of material found within 1964 - 1989

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open to researchers.

Biographical / Historical

Rochester Institute of Technology has provided engineering courses since the foundation of Mechanics institute in 1885, when they first offered a mechanical drawing course. In 1960, RIT was organized into six different colleges with the College of Applied Science being one of them. The College of Applied Science housed mechanical, electrical and chemistry departments. (Not to be confused with College of Applied Science and Technology) In 1971, the name has been changed to the College of Engineering. In 1998, the name was changed again to Kate Gleason College of Engineering in honor of one of RIT's major benefactors and an engineer.

Created in 1983, the John D. Hromi Center for Quality and Applied Statistics (CQAS) has achieved international recognition for excellence in the fields of quality management and applied statistics. Dr. John D. Hromi came to RIT in 1981 as the Frederick H. Minnett Distinguished Professor and established the Center for Quality and Applied Statistics. The Center is named in recognition of Dr. Hromi's accomplishments and a new building was dedicated in 1992 with the presence of Dr. Joseph M. Juran, celebrated international authority in industrial statistics and quality control. Dr. Hromi has a well-established reputation as an international authority in industrial statistics and quality control and has addressed conferences around the world.

Dr. Mason E. Wescott was the founder of the RIT graduate degree program in Applied and Mathematical Statistics in 1966. The Mason E. Wescott Lab is named in recognition of his contributions to the program. The Center is home to the Mason E. Wescott Statistics Laboratory, which offers access to the Internet and statistical applications and to RIT’s other computer systems.


2 Box(es) (1 document box and 1/2 doc box)




The collection includes materials related to the College of Engineering (COE) at RIT, including correspondence, clippings as well as materials from Engineers’ Council for Professional Development and other related materials. Also included is a 1987 COE alumni directory, and records about the Center for Quality and Applied Statistics.


The folders are arranged in alphabetic order with content in each folder arranged chronologically.

Other Finding Aids

In addition to this finding aid, an inventory is available below. For more information, please contact the RIT Archive Collections.

Kate Gleason College of Engineering records

Processing Information

Finding aid created by Veronica Raco in August 2012.

Kate Gleason College of Engineering records
RIT Archives
Veronica Raco
06 August 2012
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the RIT Archives Repository

Rochester NY 14623 USA