RIT Laboratory for Applied Computing research records
Scope and Contents
The RIT Laboratory for Applied Computing research records document the formation and planning of this lab. Included are many correspondence and reports outlining the partnership between the LAC and Xerox, which resulted in alphaAve. There is also a report to be signed from Sen. Jim Alesi regarding the grant RIT recieved to build the facility. A majority of the collection consists of information on seminars that were hosted and correspondence between different department administrators and the director of the LAC, Roger Gaborski.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
The Laboratory for Applied Computing opened on Wednesday, June 26, 2002. The LAC was a result of the joint efforts of Sen. Jim Alesi and Senate Majority Leader Joe Bruno. Together they were able to secure $1.5 million in New York state funds for the construction of the facility. RIT President Albert Simone said, “"It affirms in a very direct and visible way Rochester’s and RIT’s position as a hub of IT and computing expertise." The LAC had partnerships with major firms such as, Xerox, IBM and Hewlett-Packard. Connected to the B. Thomas Golisano College of Computing and Information Sciences, its main purpose was to serve as a learning laboratory for the RIT students majoring in Information Technology and Computer Science. Formally known as the IT Lab, the first director of the new facility was Roger S. Gaborski.
0.5 Linear Feet (1 document box)
Various records, correspondence and reports related to the Laboratory for Applied Computing.
Materials are arranged chronologically within 11 folders.
Finding aid created by Emily Kolenberg in April 2012.
- Financial records
- Information technology -- Study and teaching -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Rochester Institute of Technology. B. Thomas Golisano College of Computing and Information Sciences
- Rochester Institute of Technology. Laboratory for Applied Computing
- Universities and colleges -- New York (State) -- Rochester -- Administration
- Xerox Corporation
- RIT Laboratory for Applied Computing research records
- RIT Archives
- Emily Kolenberg
- 12 July 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note