RIT award plaques
Scope and Contents
RIT award plaques includes two honorees.
- "Blue Ribbon Winner," presented to Dave Kosowski, September 1968 for being the first man to class at the Henrietta campus.
- "SOS," presented to A. Stephen Walls, October 1971 for service as an advisor during freshman orientation.
- Creation: 1968-1983
- Lowenthal, Arthur M. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
The Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) can trace its origins to the founding of the Rochester Athenaeum in 1829. After joining with several different Rochester institutions during the 19th century, the Athenaeum finally merged with the Mechanics Institute (founded in 1885) in 1891 to form the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute (RAMI). RAMI changed its name to the Rochester Institute of Technology in 1944 to better reflect the university's role in the field of technical education.
RIT was originally located in the city of Rochester, NY. Due to the rapid growth in enrollment and programs following World War II, it became increasingly clear that the school would have to expand. Emil Muller, an RIT graduate, helped the university obtain 1300 acres of farmland in the suburb of Henrietta. Ground was broken on November 2, 1964 and by September 1968 the first classes were held. The Henrietta campus now contains well over 200 buildings with 12 colleges including the National Technical Institute for the Deaf. As of 2011, RIT has over 17,000 students and more than 200 student clubs and organizations.
1 Linear Feet (1 clamshell box)
Collection contains miscellaneous awards given by Rochester Institute of Technology.
Collection materials are in chronological order.
Finding aid created by Amy Vilz in December 2011. Revised by Ella von Holtum in September 2017.
- David, Kosowski (Person)
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Awards (Organization)
- Rochester Institute of Technology. Nathaniel Rochester Society (Organization)
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Students (Organization)
- Walls, A. Stephen (Albert Stephen) (Person)
- RIT award plaques
- RIT Archives
- Amy Vilz
- 03 December 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note