Mechanics Institute parapet stone plaque
Scope and Contents
The plaque reads "Mechanics Institute Parapet Stone", from the 1894 building that housed MI, forerunner of RIT. It symbolizes the ongoing association of MI, RIT, and the School of Applied Industrial Studies with Rochester business and industry. The background is dark brown, and the lettering is gold. The Mechanics Institute parapet stone is a large metal plaque that was placed somewhere on the 50 West Main Street, or as it was referred to the City Center location. The plaque is approximately 18 x 10 inches and weighs 15-20 pounds. There are four holes, one in each corner where the screws would have been to hang.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
School of Applied Industrial Studies, a part of the College of Continuing Education, was the first tenant in the Rochester Insitute of Technology (RIT) City Center location in the late 1970's.
1.5 Linear Feet (Item)
The Mechanics Institute parapet stone is a large metal plaque that was placed somewhere on the 50 West Main Street building, or as it was referred to, the City Center location. The plaque is approximately 18 x 10 inches and weighs 15-20 pounds.
Collection is a single item.
C.S. South, Shelf 220
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The item was deposited by RIT Facilities Management Departement. Accession number(s): 08:16
Use caution when lifting the plaque from the shelf as it is extremely heavy.
The plaque measures 18 x 10 inches.
Finding aid created by Jody Sidlauskas in December 2011.
- Mechanics Institute parapet stone
- RIT Archives
- Jody Sidlauskas
- 5 December 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note