RIT printing plates
Scope and Contents
RIT printing plates consist of metal printing plates mounted on wood. Each plate has a raised image of the signature of a RIT president or provost. Additionally, there are 3 printing plates with an image of "Rochester Institute of Technology."
- circa 1960-1990
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
The Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) can trace its origins to the founding of the Rochester Athenaeum in 1829. After joining with several different Rochester institutions during the 19th century, the Athenaeum finally merged with the Mechanics Institute (founded in 1885) in 1891 to form the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute (RAMI). RAMI changed its name to the Rochester Institute of Technology in 1944 to better reflect the university's role in the field of technical education.
RIT was originally located in the city of Rochester, NY. Due to the rapid growth in enrollment and programs following World War II, it became increasingly clear that the school would have to expand. Emil Muller, an RIT graduate, helped the university obtain 1300 acres of farmland in the suburb of Henrietta. Ground was broken on November 2, 1964 and by September 1968 the first classes were held. The Henrietta campus now contains well over 200 buildings with 12 colleges including the National Technical Institute for the Deaf. As of 2011, RIT has over 17,000 students and more than 200 student clubs and organizations.
0.83 Linear Feet (1 Lid box)
RIT printing plates mainly consists of president and provost signatures.
Collection materials are unarranged.
Finding aid created by Amy Vilz in November 2011.
- RIT printing plates
- RIT Archives
- Amy Vilz
- 28 November 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the RIT Archives Repository
Rochester NY 14623 USA