RIT College Union Board gavel
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a boxed gavel and sound block. The gavel is engraved "Chairman College Union Board."
- circa 1970
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
The Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) College Union Board was formed during the 1960s. In 1966, the RIT Board of Trustees and Student Council approved a constitution and set of by-laws for the organization. According to its constitution, the purpose of the group was to "...promote better recreational, social, cultural, and educational services for the college community." The group planned to achieve its stated purpose by overseeing the newly constructed College Alumni Union. The Union was to be run by 200 students, independent of the college's administration.
Although all students at RIT were considered members of the College Union, only active members could join the board. To be an active member, a person had to be a full-time day student at the Institute and have paid the active union fee. Faculty, staff, administrators, part-time students, and evening students could become associate members, which allowed them to "have a voice" at meetings, but not vote.
The group changed its name to the College Activities Board (C.A.B.) for the 1978-1979 school year. As of 2011, C.A.B. was still a part of RIT's campus. The organization helps to plan and implement on-campus activities and entertainment events for the student body.
1 Item(s) (1 File box)
Chairman's gavel of the Rochester Institute of Technology's (RIT) College Union Board. A predecessor to RIT's College Activities Board, the group was formed to plan and provide activities and entertainment for RIT's student body.
Collection consists of one item.
C.S. South, East wall, Shelf 82
Finding aid created by Amy Vilz in November 2011.
- Artifacts (object genre)
- College students -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Societies and clubs
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Students
- Rochester Institute of Technology. College Activities Board
- Rochester Institute of Technology. College Union
- Rochester Institute of Technology. College Union Board
- Student activities -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- RIT College Union Board gavel
- RIT Archives
- Amy Vilz
- 16 November 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note