Marie K. Fennell scrapbook
Scope and Contents
The scrapbook was compiled by RAMI graduate Marie K. Fennell, sometime after 1944, when RIT changed from the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute to Rochester Institute of Technology. Handwritten on the front cover is: RIT - RAMI (to me). The scrapbook begins with her acceptance letter, and she collected and pasted in her schedules, announcements of events, ticket stubs, clippings, napkins and snapshots of she and her friends. She continued to collect newspaper articles about the school, the faculty and her fellow classmates. The last clipping is dated 1959.
- Fennell, Marie K. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical Information: Marie K. Fennell
Marie K. Fennell (1892-1984) graduated from RIT (at that time called Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute or RAMI) in 1916 with a certificate from the Department of Household Arts and Science. The Department began in 1893 with courses in cooking, sewing, emergencies, hygiene, home nursing, and physical culture. The program expanded rapidly, and Marie was accepted into RAMI in 1913 as part of the largest registration in the (then) history of the instititution. For the next 40 years, Marie compiled her scrapbook, beginning with her acceptance letter into the Institute, and ending with clippings related to her fellow alumni.
Marie died in December 1984 at the age of 92 in Rochester, New York.
1 Item(s) (1 lid box)
Scrapbook compiled by Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute home economics student Marie K. Fennell. Includes clippings, alumna activities, and Institute events.
The order of the scrapbook follows Marie K. Fennels's years at RIT, with a final section showing some alumna activities.
C.S. South, Shelf 551
- Simple Little Things. Article regarding Fennell's scrapbook. Written by RIT Archivist Becky Simmons, RIT: The University Magazine, Winter 2006.
Finding aid created by Amy Vilz in July 2011.
- College students -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Home economics -- Study and teaching -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Rochester (N.Y.) -- History -- 20th century
- Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics’ Association. Department of Household Arts and Science
- Universities and colleges -- New York (State) -- Rochester -- History
- Marie K. Fennell scrapbook
- RIT Archives
- Amy Vilz
- 15 July 2011
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script