Collection on Leslie D. Stroebel
Scope and Contents
The Collection on Leslie D. Stroebel consists of materials related to Stroebel, a former professor of photography at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). The collection includes several "Faculty Writings" forms that contain information on items written by Stroebel, as well as exhibitions featuring his work and awards he received. A large portion of the collection is made up of articles written by Stroebel such as one titled "Seeing is Believing," which appeared in Photomethods in July 1977.
Additionally, the collection contains a few pieces of biographical material on Stroebel including information on his military service during World War II. There is also information on a Technology Photography program proposal written by Stroebel in 1981.
- Stroebel, Leslie D. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
Leslie D. Stroebel was born on March 11, 1920 and grew up in Maplewood, MN. Wishing to study photography, Stroebel entered the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute's (RAMI) Department of Photographic Technology in 1939. At the time, RAMI's program was one of the only photography programs in the country and had a good reputation in the field. Stroebel was involved in several campus organizations including band, the photo-tech camera club, and Chi Delta Phi fraternity. Upon graduating from RAMI in 1942, Stroebel joined the U.S. military. He was sent to Lowry Air Force Base in Colorado to learn about aerial photography in the Air Corps Technical School.
Following World War II, Stroebel returned to RAMI (renamed Rochester Institute of Technology in 1944) as a faculty member in its Photographic Technology department. During his tenure, he founded the Technical Photography program with the first two students enrolling in the program in 1982. Stroebel is remembered as one of the key figures that helped build the Rochester Institute of Technology's (RIT) School of Photographic Arts and Sciences into the program it is today.
- An Introduction to Photography (with C. B. Neblette)
- View Camera Technique
- Dictionary of Contemporary Photography (with Hollis Todd)
- Visual Concepts for Photographers (with Hollis Todd and Richard Zakia)
- Photographic Materials and Processes
- The Focal Encyclopedia of Photography (3rd edition; with Richard Zakia)
Materials related to Leslie D. Stroebel, a former professor of photography at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). The collection includes lists with titles of Stroebel's writings, articles, an interview transcript, and a few pieces of biographical information.
The collection is arranged chronologically.
C.S. South, Shelf 819, Box 40
Finding aid created by Lara Nicosia in April 2011.
- Biography files
- Photographers -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Photography -- Study and teaching -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute. Department of Photographic Technology
- Rochester Institute of Technology. Department of Photographic Technology
- Rochester Institute of Technology. School of Photographic Arts and Sciences
- Stroebel, Leslie D. (Person)
- Collection on Leslie D. Stroebel
- RIT Archives
- Lara Nicosia
- 14 April 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the RIT Archives Repository
Rochester NY 14623 USA