RIT Winter Weekend collection
Scope and Contents
The RIT Winter Weekend collection contains materials related to the program and its various activities. The collection includes schedules of events, programs, invitations, and clippings. There is also information related to "Art Stuff," a series of presentations by "creative artists" that coincided with Winter Weekend. This series consists of a schedule of events as well as articles and press releases related to the various artists including John Halpern, Brian Bram, Pat Olezsko, Tony Kosloski, and Gerard W. Renaldi.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
Located in Western New York, the city of Rochester and its surrounding areas experience large amounts of snowfall during the winter months. As a result, many students spend the winter months indoors. According to one article, students and administrators at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) hoped to "unify the student body by creating a tradition which will serve to break up the boredom experienced during the Winter Quarter." This was achieved through Winter Weekend.
Throughout the years, Winter Weekend took on a several forms and included various events. Originally the weekend appears to have included all of the area colleges and featured activities such as a snow sculpture contest, sporting events, and a Sweetheart Ball. In 1971, RIT hosted a "Winter Carnival" with films, contests, and a figure skating presentation. Some other events featured at past Winter Weekends include broomball and snow soccer, workshops on topics such as martial arts and juggling, concerts, magic shows, and lecture series. In 1981, several students planned an "Art Stuff" lecture series that included talks by "creative artists" such as Brian Bram and Pat Olezsko. This program coincided with the "Winter Weekend" schedule.
0.08 Linear Feet (4 folders)
Materials related to the Rochester Institute of Technology's Winter Weekend, an annual campus event for students, faculty, and staff. The collection includes program schedules, invitations, and clippings. There is also information on "Art Stuff," a series of lectures that coincided with Winter Weekend.
Materials are contained in four folders. Items related to the "Art Stuff" program during Winter Weekend are separated from the rest of the collection. Documents are arranged chronologically within each folder.
C.S. South, Shelf 808, Box 204
Finding aid created by Lara Nicosia in March 2011.
- Balls (Parties) -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Bram, Brian
- Carnivals -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- College students -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Halpern, John
- Kosloski, Tony
- Oleszko, Pat
- Programs (documents)
- Rinaldi, Gerard W.
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Students
- Rochester Institute of Technology Winter Weekend (1961)
- Rochester Institute of Technology Winter Weekend (1971)
- Rochester Institute of Technology Winter Weekend (1975)
- Rochester Institute of Technology Winter Weekend (1981)
- Rochester Institute of Technology Winter Weekend (1982)
- Rochester Institute of Technology Winter Weekend (1983)
- Rochester Institute of Technology Winter Weekend (1985)
- Rochester Institute of Technology. Art Stuff program
- Schedules (time plans)
- Student activities -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Winter festivals -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- RIT Winter Weekend collection
- RIT Archives
- Lara Nicosia
- 15 March 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the RIT Archives Repository
Rochester NY 14623 USA