Edna Sayers collection
Scope and Contents
Materials donated by Edna Sayers mostly relating to her publications about deaf characters in literature. Also includes research and letters regarding Ms. Lydia Sigourney, poet and hearing teacher of the Deaf at American School for the Deaf.
- circa 1817-2003
- Sayers, Edna Edith (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical information on Edna Sayers
Edna Sayers obtained her undergraduate degree from Pennsylvania State University, her master’s at St. Bonaventure University, and her Ph.D at State University of New York at Buffalo in 1985. From 1990 to 2010, and as professor from 1997 to 2010, Sayers worked at Gallaudet University. She worked at NTID as a visiting professor from 1989 to 1990, and before that, she was assistant professor at Middle Tennessee State University from 1985 to 1989. Sayers has also written various articles and edited various pieces on deaf literature, like Mrs. Sigourney of Hartford: Poems and Prose on the Early American Deaf Community, a copy of which can be found at the RIT Wallace Library.
1 Linear Feet (1 document box, 1 half document box, 2 small boxes)
Materials donated by Edna Sayers relating to her publications about literature and the Deaf, and VHS tapes of Deaf performances.
This collection is arranged by Accession and material type.
C.S Mid, Shelf 418
Other Finding Aids
In addition to this finding aid, an inventory is available below. For more information, please contact the RIT Archive Collections.
Edna Sayers collection
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This material was donated to the RIT/NTID Deaf Studies Archive by Edna Sayers in 2017 and 2018.
- Mrs. Sigourney of Hartford : poems and prose on the early American deaf community / Edna Edith Sayers and Diana Moore, editors. Washington, DC : Gallaudet University Press, 2013
- Outcasts and angels : the new anthology of deaf characters in literature / edited by Edna Edith Sayers. Washington, DC : Gallaudet University Press, 2012
- Edna Sayers collection
- RIT/NTID Deaf Studies Archive
- Ella von Holtum
- 21 September 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note